Alberta’s independent scene received a huge shot to the arm last week, with a number of major announcements coming out of each of the province’s major promotions. A trio of major stars were announced to be making their respective ways to the province in the coming months, while one previously-confirmed talent will now be heading to Alberta one week later than expected. To top it all off, the lone Edmonton show of the weekend saw one of the most shocking turns in Monster Pro Wrestling history take place, setting the stage for an exciting few months across the promotion.
It’s the latest edition of Last Week in Alberta Wrestling, your source for the most up-to-date information in the Albertan independent scene!
Mitch Clarke Claims MPW Heavyweight Championship
Why, Mitch, why?
That’s the question on everybody’s mind following Monster Pro Wrestling’s return to Alberta Avenue on Saturday night. While excellent from top-to-bottom, there’s no doubt that the lasting memory for most in attendance is that of “Danger Zone” Mitch Clarke heinously turning his back on ostensible former tag team partner and best friend Lumberjack Larry Woods.
The evening’s main event saw Woods receiving another opportunity at the MPW Heavyweight Championship following interference in his last match against “Headline” Shaun Martens. This time, however, a Lumberjack stipulation was added to prevent Martens’ fellow Annihilation members from making their presence known. After an excellent back-and-forth affair, Woods finally was able to pin Martens, claiming his first singles championship in Monster Pro Wrestling. However, as the rest of the roster left the ring following their celebration with Larry, only Woods and best friend Mitch Clarke were left in the ring.
That’s where things took a turn for the worst.
With a vicious low-blow, Clarke’s true intentions became clear. Grabbing a chair from ringside, the former UFC fighter commenced with a ruthless beating of his former partner, rendering him incapacitated in the middle of the squared circle. It was then that Clarke announced that he, too, would be cashing in his Leo Burke Cup championship opportunity, and with no choice in the matter, the referee started the match. Within seconds, Clarke had locked in a devastating submission, and with the Lumberjack unable to respond, the match was called. The reign of Lumberjack Larry was over before it began, and Mitch Clarke stood tall as your new MPW Heavyweight Champion.
Joey Ryan Headed to Edmonton
As announced on Facebook late last week, independent wrestling star Joey Ryan will be making his debut for Real Canadian Wrestling for the promotion’s events in Calgary (October 18th) and Edmonton (October 19th).
Throughout his nearly 20-year wrestling career, Ryan has established himself as a lynchpin of the worldwide independent wrestling scene, both in-and-out of the ring. With a wrestling style all his own, Ryan has earned his reputation as one of the most popular stars in wrestling today.
Thus far, no opponents for Ryan’s Alberta run have been announced.
Tickets for both of Ryan’s appearances in Alberta are currently on sale through myshowpass.com, or at any of RCW’s upcoming live events.
CWE Confirms Marseglia, Jacobs for Fall Tour
Canadian Wrestling’s Elite may have just wrapped up their Cruel Summer tour throughout Alberta, but the promotion has already announced a pair of major names for their upcoming fall tour through the Canadian prairies. Current CWE Heavyweight Champion and Ring of Honor star Vinny Marseglia has been confirmed for select shows on the tour, as well as former CWE titleholder Jimmy Jacobs.
Marseglia, a member of ROH stable the Kingdom, claimed the CWE’s top title at the promotion’s 10th-Anniversary Spectacular last year. The former ROH 6-man Tag Team Champion has developed into one of the most unique personalities in wrestling today. “The Horror King” is instantly recognizable, and that’s not simply due to his abundance of tattoos. Marseglia has become one of the most well-rounded wrestlers on the scene today and adds to an already stacked lineup for CWE’s upcoming tour.
Jacobs, a former CWE Champion in his own right, holds one of the most decorated resumes in wrestling today. The Zombie Princess has held nearly every position in WWE, IMPACT, and a multitude of independent promotions worldwide. Last year, Jacobs famously filled in for CWE’s scheduled shows in Ontario following Brutus “the Barber” Beefcake’s unannounced departure from the tour.
Jacobs will get a head-start on Marseglia on the tour, appearing at the promotion’s scheduled dates in Edmonton (November 14th), Grande Prairie (Nov. 15) and Lethbridge (Nov. 22). Both Marseglia and Jacobs will be appearing for the CWE in Lethbridge (Nov. 22) and Medicine Hat (Nov. 23).
The Date May Change, but Players Remain the Same
The Chairman will still be returning for business, it’ll just be one week later than anticipated.
Last week, the Prairie Wrestling Alliance announced that All Elite Wrestling star and PWA Commonwealth Champion Shawn Spears will now be returning to Calgary on November 16th, rather than the previously-announced date of November 9th. The date was rescheduled due to the latest pay-per-view announcement from AEW, with Full Gear scheduled to take place on November 9th.
Spears’ scheduled date in Edmonton (September 28th) is still confirmed.
Prairie Wrestling Alliance Results
Legacy • Calgary, Alberta • September 7
- Sheik Shabaz def. Bobby Sharp
- Kat Von Heez def. “The Masterpiece of the East” Alix Zwicker
- Space Mountain (Titan/Beri Grayson) def. The League (Brayden Parsons/Davey O’Doyle)
- Shaun Moore def. “Kid Chocolate” Mo Jabari
- Colton Kelly vs Brandon Van Danielson - Double DQ
- PWA Women’s Championship Match: Zoë Sager© def. Kylie Morgan
- PWA Tag Team Championship Match: Above Average Joes© (Aiden Adams/Kenny Stryker) def. D.E.D (“The Omen” Gabriel Lestat/Mephisto)
- PWA Championship Match: Michael Allen Richard Clark© vs. “God’s Gift to Wrestling” Michael Richard Blais - No Contest
Monster Pro Wrestling Results
MPW Alberta Avenue • Edmonton, Alberta • September 7
- KB6 def. Nasty Nate Nixon
- Handicap Match: Dad Bod Squad def. Ajax via DQ
- Sultan Singh def. TY Jackson, “The Cheetahbear” Jude Dawkins, Viva La MexiKato
- SIRENS TITLE MATCH: Phoenix© vs Taryn from Accounting - No Contest
- Renegade Memorial Tag Team Championship Match: Rugged Future© (Rich King/Kid Cyrus) def. JJ Spade/Dangerous Danny Evans
- MPW Provincial Championship Match: “Beautiful” Blake Kannon© def. Mitch Clarke via DQ
- MPW Heavyweight Championship Match (Lumberjack Match): Lumberjack Larry Woods def. “Headline” Shaun Martens©
- MPW Heavyweight Championship Match (Leo Burke Cup Cash-In): “Danger Zone” Mitch Clarke def. Lumberjack Larry Woods©
Real Canadian Wrestling • Fight Day the 13th • Calgary, Alberta • September 13
Real Canadian Wrestling • Oil City Roller Derby • Edmonton, Alberta • September 14
Latest Wrestling Content:
- BREAKING: Clarke Turns on Lumberjack Larry, Wins MPW Championship
- Monday Night Shaw: Episode 18 | Match Reviews with Dale Toupin
- Conversations With Love 29: A Conversation With Rich King
- RCW Recap and Reactions: Back 2 School Brawl, Red Deer, August 31
- RCW Recap and Reactions: Back to School Bash, Edmonton, August 29