It’s been yet another exciting week in professional wrestling throughout Alberta, with a myriad of huge match announcements, title changes and signings over the course of the past seven days. We’ve got your latest news for the week that was in Albertan pro wrestling!
Former PWA/RCW star Gursinder Singh (Tony Cage) requests release from IMPACT
— Gursinder Singh (@GursinderImpact) April 17, 2021
- On April 17th, former PWA and RCW star Gursinder Singh - formerly known as Tony Cage - formally requested his release from IMPACT Wrestling, announcing the news on his personal Twitter. Singh was last seen on Impact on April 13th in a loss teaming with Raj Singh against the Deaners. Cage debuted for the Prairie Wrestling Alliance in 2015 and quickly earned a name for himself, capturing the PWA Commonwealth Championship just under a year after debuting. His last appearance in Alberta was in February for Real Canadian Wrestling.
An Uncertain Future for the Western Lions?
Last night @PWAwrestlingca spoke from the soul & announced the Lions maybe taking a break from PWA to give the younger guys a chance to shine. I got interrupted by Kenneth Anthony, he disrespected me with his words. So I offered him a chance to put his money where his mouth is… pic.twitter.com/hhii1AYIKP
— Michael R. Blais (@GodsGiftMRB) April 22, 2020
- Saturday’s PWA Hysteria was filled with a myriad of major events and announcements; however, as always, Michael Richard Blais grabbed the biggest headlines coming out of the show. Unfortunately, it wasn’t exactly for all the desired reasons. With long-time partner Brandon Van Danielson absent, not only did Blais announce that both he and BVD would be taking a break following the highly-anticipated Blais/Teddy Hart match at Night of Champions, but was the victim of a brutal assault courtesy of the Millennial Rebels. While Blais was able to defeat Kenneth Anthony in their impromptu battle, he was assaulted by both his opponent and Colton Kelly post-match and on the receiving end of an unwanted haircut. When asked for a quote, MRB responded with the following:
“Yes, I won cause I am on a different level still. Then they attacked post-match, choked me out to sleep according to the video and cut my hair. Now, BVD and I are back to square one. I’ve talked to him about it.”
“We really don’t know what we are thinking now.”
The WCSN will have more on the developing story throughout the week.
Tyler Colton to appear for Oriental Wrestling Entertainment
- One of Canada’s premier wrestlers will head to the Far East in less than a fortnight, as Tyler Colton announced via Facebook that he’ll be flying out to debut for China’s Oriental Wrestling Entertainment (OWE) in two weeks time. In his career, Colton has earned his moniker of “The Canadian Hercules” and is one of the hardest-hitting stars of the Canadian independent scene. Founded in 2017, OWE has quickly developed a reputation as the premier wrestling promotion in China. In January, the promotion was announced as the inaugural partner of All Elite Wrestling.
Michael Allen Richard Clark wins PWA Championship
- The longest name in professional wrestling can now add the title of P.W.A Champion to his resumé. Michael Allen Richard Clark defeated Sheik Akbar Shabaz - with a little assistance - on Saturday night to claim the Prairie Wrestling Alliance’s top title. Full story on the WCSN
ROH Champion Matt Taven, Gangrel confirm opponents for Albertan swing
- Following RCW’s two shows this weekend, the opponents for a pair of incoming stars are confirmed. Former WWE Superstar Gangrel will take on Dirty, Inc’s Cameron Stevens on May 3rd in Calgary, with Big Jess Youngblood earning his shot at the former leader of the Brood on May 4th in Edmonton by way of his victory in the Marie Ewaschuk Memorial Battle Royal. Additionally, Ring of Honor Champion Matt Taven will face off against Jordon Aries at the Calgary event, while Dylon Stone will face the champ at Edmonton’s May 4th event.
Shaun Moore vs. Shaun Spears official for P.W.A Night of Champions
- Another marquee matchup on the Albertan independent scene is set to take place on June 22nd at PWA Night of Champions, as PWA Commonwealth Champion Shaun Moore will face off with Shawn Spears, formerly known as WWE Superstar Tye Dillinger. Full story on the WCSN.
Adrenaline: April 19, Calgary
1. Jordon Aries def. Pride/Tyson Hillar/Big Bruce/Travis Cole
2. Tag Team Championship Qualifying Match: Voros Twins (Chris and Patrick) def. Grant Sales/Dragan Evans
3. Tag Team Championship Qualifying Match: Dirty, Inc. (Cody Chimera/Maverick Jack) def. Hard 2 Kill (Matt Hart/D. Dwight Davis)
4. Kayla Jaye/Chris Perish def. Dirty, Inc. (Angelica/Sydney Steele)
5. Cameron Stevens def. The Slammer by DQ
6. RCW Canadian Heavyweight Championship Match: Aussie Legend def. Scotley Crüe
7. RCW Commonwealth Championship Match: Zack Mercury def. Dante
8. RCW Tag Team Championship Match: American A.S.S. (Steve Rivers/Bradley Graham) def. Dirty, Inc. (Cody Chimera/Maverick Jack)/Top Talent (Heavy Metal/Big Jess Youngblood)/Voros Twins
News and Notes:
- With his victory, Jordon Aries will face ROH Champion Matt Taven on May 3
- Post-match, Matt Hart walked out Hard 2 Kill
- With the victory, Cameron Stevens will face Gangrel on May 3rd.
- Heavy Metal received a
title shotchampionship opportunity against the Aussie Legend on May 3rd.
Marie Ewaschuk Memorial Show: April 20, Edmonton
1. Travis Cole/Grant Sale def. Dante/Dragen Evans
2. Eddie Rhude def. Maverick Jack by DQ
3. Kayla Jaye/Dean Richtor def. Cameron Stevens/Rylee Jade
4. Pride def. Meniac
5. The Slammer def. Cody Chimera
6. Top Talent def. Voros Twins
7. Big Jesse Youngblood wins the Marie Ewaschuk Memorial Battle Royal
8. Zack Mercury/Steven Styles/Matthew Styles defeated Viking Rage (Vince Austin, Günnar the Paegan Destroyer, Viking Dwarf)
News and Notes:
- Cody Chimera challenged Eddie Rhude to a “Hair vs. Contract” Match May 4 in Edmonton
- Zack Mercury to defend Commonwealth Title against the Undefeated Gunnar May 4 in Edmonton
- Steven Styles announces his in-ring retirement following the match
Hysteria: April 20, Edmonton
1. “The PWA Original” Marky def. “Kid Chocolate” Mo Jabari
2. “Spaceman” Beri Grayson def. Colton Kelly/Davey O’Doyle/Zoë Sager
3. PWA Commonwealth Championship Match: Shaun Moore def. Maxton Flexwell
4. The Above Average Joes (Aiden Adams/Kenny Stryker) def. Body Break (Bobby Sharp/Kat Von Heez)
5. PWA Mayhem Championship Chairs Match: “The Thickness” Reid Matthews def. “The Omen” Gabriel
6. PWA Championship Match: Michael Allen Richard Clark def. Sheik Akbar Shabaz
7. “God’s Gift to Wrestling” Michael Richard Blais def. Kenneth Anthony
— PWA Wrestling (@PWAwrestlingca) April 22, 2020
News and Notes:
- With their victory, the Above Average Joes earn an opportunity at the PWA Tag Team Championships at Night of Champions.
- With his victory, Beri Grayson earns a Mayhem Championship opportunity May 18th in Edmonton
- Michael Allen Richard Clark wins the P.W.A Championship
- A post-match attack from Kenneth Anthony and Colton Kelly results in a haircut for MRB.
Powerslam VII: April 20, Lethbridge
1. “The Cheetahbear” Jude Dawkins def. “Cowboy” Bryn Watts
2. Dewey Robson def. Shaun Martens/Jumpin Josh/Lumberjack Larry Woods
3. Kyle Sebastian def. Bradley Graham
4. Killer Bee def. Cyanide
5. PPW Heavyweight Championship Match: Chris Perish def. Sydney Steele
Ponoka, April 26: RCW High Stakes
Didsbury, April 27: RCW Fusion
Calgary, May 3: RCW Sweet 16 Celebration
Edmonton, May 4: RCW 16th-Anniversary Show
Edmonton, May 4: MPW Leo Burke Cup
Calgary, May 4: PWA Mayhem
- BREAKING: Moore vs. Spears Official for PWA Night of Champions
- BREAKING: Michael Allen Richard Clark Wins P.W.A Championship
- A Moment with Meniac: Episode 006 | The Superstar Shakeup, Pt. 1
- Conversations With Love 13: A Conversation with Kayla Jaye
- Pro Wrestling YEG Recap and Reactions: April 13, NAIT, Edmonton