A welcome back to all eight participants in the MLB Survivors Pool. The first couple weeks promise to easy with so many options. That said, have I jinxed the crew? Most players picked the Dodgers last week and almost paid for it. The rules are simple, to survive each contestant must win at least two of three series. Lets do this!
Ian Wilson of albertadugoutstories.com
- Yankees over Orioles … It took a “Superman” and a big puff of Smoak to help the Jays earn a split against the stacked Yankees. Maybe Machado can help the O’s win one game in the series. Maybe.
- Red Sox over Rays … The Rays always put up a good fight and the Red Sox are no strangers to choking, but the days of Billy Buckner are long gone. Tampa Bay’s merry band of castoffs will have a repeat performance of Opening Week as they fall to Boston for the second straight weekend.
- Cleveland over KC … The Tribe must be royally choked about the outcome of their season-opening series against the Mariners (which they lost). They will channel that fury and unleash it against Kansas City. If you want to crown the Royals, then crown them, but I know what they are - and Cleveland won’t let ’em off the hook.
Alexandro Zatarain of The AOSN.com
- Angels over A’s… Shohei Ohtani had a rough Spring Training but has impressed to start 2018, going 6 innings and giving up three runs in his first outing, and first victory, of the season. His first at bat? Home run. I also can’t go without saying how well Andrelton Simmons has been so far, registering a .379 BA, .400 OBP and five RBI.
- Brewers over Cubs… The Brewers have been impressive. Although the it’s only been a few games, the one-two punch of Christian Yelich and Ryan Braun, especially late in games, has been lethal. Going up against the Cubs at home will be an opportunity to leave an early mark in the NL Central.
- Astros over Padres…Carlos Correa leads the team in batting average, home runs, on base percentage and runs batted in. Playing against a struggling Padres pitching staff will be like Christmas for Correa and Co. Lance McCullers Jr., Gerrit Cole and Charlie Morton are the projected starters, so the Astros are definitely in good hands this weekend.
Joshua Berube of Win Column
- Pirates over Reds…Once again, I pick on the Reds. I mean, despite the unimaginable start by the Pirates, I just can’t bet on the Reds. Clearly, I am not Pete Rose. Oh wait.
- Astros over Padres… I know, low hanging fruit. I will silently be rooting for Hosmer in the loss. But it’s the Astros, the World Series Champions. Duh!
- Brewers over Cubs…Pitching wise, it looks to favor the Cubs but everyone has to have a dark horse right?
Len Nunes of Win Column
- Angels over Athletics…I have the Athletics finishing last in the AL West. If the Angels want to convince me they are worthy of being tabbed a wild card team, this is has how start to change my mind.
- Blue Jays over Rangers…this series won’t be the same with Jose Bautista. Marco Estrada/Marcus Stroman/Jaime Garcia is a solid weekend set of pitchers.
- Astros over Padres…I just saw my Rockies beat them three times. I was making this pick regardless but when I saw the biggest (only) Padres fan I know Alexandro bet against them then you know it’s a solid pick.
Pedro Dorantes of The AOSN and Win Column
- Yankees over Orioles…The Yankees will come out on top. Not only do they have much more offensive power compared to Baltimore, but also their pitching is much more consistent and will allow way fewer runs.
- Philadelphia over Miami…The Phillies might not have a very powerful offense, but they have more solid pitching compared to Miami. Philly could very well keep the fish in check and win the series.
- Brewers over Cubs…Chicago seems to be giving away runs and over complicating ballgames against less competitive teams. Milwaukee will come out on top mostly thanks to that.
everything.sandiego of Instagram:
- Angels over A’s…the Angels have Zack Cozart, Mike Trout, and Shohei Ohtani. The A’s only have Jonathon Lucroy.
- White Sox Over Tigers…the White Sox have proven they can win, and the Tigers are just plain terrible.
- Red Sox Over Rays…the Red Sox are a really good team, and the Rays aren’t very good.
thebayareasports of Instagram:
- Astros over Padres..cause the padres are a AAA team.
- White Sox over Tigers… I don’t believe the Tigers can get it done with their bats.
- Cardinals over Dbacks…the Dbacks back of the rotation isn’t great
pirates.nationn of Instagram:
- Astros over Padres…The 2017 World Series Champions have started the season red hot in hopes of returning to the World Series again. There is lots of power in their lineup from George Springer, Brian McCann, Carlos Correa, Alex Bregman and Jose Altuve.
- Red Sox over Rays…The Rays are in rebuild this year despite not trading Chris Archer or Kevin Kiermaier. The Red Sox can get hot really quick so expect them to use this series to gain momentum.
- Nationals over Mets…The Nationals have lots of talent on their roster and Max Scherzer shows no signs of slowing down. The Mets have a good rotation but you expect the Nationals to win this series.